An Introduction to Core Web Vitals (And Why They’re Important)
- HTTPS use
- How mobile-friendly a website is
- Whether the site uses pop-ups
- If your website has malware or not
Largest Contentful Paint (LCP)
- First Contentful Paint (FCP): How long it takes for the first element on a page to appear in your browser.
- Largest Contentful Paint: This measures how long it takes to load the largest element on a page in your browser. In other words, it tells you how long it takes for a page to finish loading.
First Input Delay (FID)
Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS)
What Google’s Announcement About Core Web Vitals Means
- Needs improvement
|Good||< 2.5 seconds||< 100 ms||< 100 ms|
|Needs Improvement||2.5-4 seconds||100-300ms||100-250 ms|
|Poor||> 4 seconds||> 300 ms||> 250 ms|
- What happens if not all of your Vitals are within the optimal range (but some are)
- Whether websites that meet all of the criteria will get a badge of some sort in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs)
- LCP: How long it takes for the largest element on each page to load.
- FID: How long it takes for a page to become interactive.
- CLS: How long it takes for elements on your page to stop shifting.